IGM-1100o Outdoor Integrated Grandmaster
IEEE 1588 Integrated GNSS Grandmaster for Outdoor Installations
Building materials, low GNSS signal strength or other constraints sometimes interfere with indoor small cell synchronization using GNSS PTP grandmaster timing systems. Solving this challenge is Microsemi’s outdoor integrated grandmaster, the IGM 1100o. Like the indoor version, this compact IGM grandmaster delivers precise time indoors to serve indoor small cells. However, IGM 1100o is ruggedized to support a wider temperature range, so that it can be installed on a building rooftop, instead of an interior wall or ceiling.
This integrated grandmaster can also be used in environments such as outdoor cabinets and huts where temperature range constraints and environmental ruggedness are key requirements. As a result, Microsemi’s outdoor grandmaster can serve eNodeBs from the very edge of the mobile network with very few hops to the node, and is ideal for mobile edge deployments for LTE-A, 5G, and DOCSIS3.1.
Being installed outdoors where GNSS reception is optimal, Microsemi’s outdoor IGM does not need assisted GNSS. In urban canyons or other settings where GPS reception is problematic, however, the IGM 1100o can leverage assisted GNSS. Use of Power over Ethernet (PoE) further simplifies installation of the outdoor IGM. Once installed on the roof and network-connected with PoE, Microsemi’s integrated grandmaster automatically self-configures through DHCP, locks on to GNSS signals, and begins PTP grandmaster operations, precluding the need for on-premise user configuration.
Using the same software across the IGM grandmaster family, mobile operators can facilitate densification with enhanced management options, more reliability through GPS backup, greater scalability with IPv6 and increased client support.
New Hardware Model: IGM Plus for Release 3.0
Release 3.0 features a new hardware model with an upgraded GNSS receiver adding Galileo and QZSS support and an upgraded mini OCXO oscillator for enhanced time keeping and holdover performance.
New Software Capabilities for Release 3.0
- Increased scalability up to 60 PTP clients
- Support for IPv6 OAM/Management, in addition to IPv6 support for PTP traffic
- Automated configuration of a large number of devices with Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP) through DHCP (option 43)
- Enhanced support for individual device configuration with full CLI
- Reduced installation costs and simplified cabling
- Plug-and-play features reducing deployment time and cost
- Ruggedized temperature support, capable of providing precise time in environmentally challenged settings
- Best-in-class synchronization solution for phase requirements at the edge of mobile networks
Integrated GNSS Grandmaster (IGM 1100o) Features
- Small form factor with single 1 GbE RJ45 port
- Supported PTP profiles: ITU-T G.8265.1 (L3 unicast), ITU-T G.8275.1 (L2 multicast), ITU-T G8275.2 (L3 Unicast), Telecom 2008 and Ethernet default
- One-step and two-step clock
- Synchronous Ethernet (SyncE) input, output
- Unique ability to provide GPS backup by accepting PTP input
- Increased PTP client scalability to a maximum of 60
- Primary Reference Time Clock (PRTC) compliant
- IPv6 support for 1588 traffic and OAM/Management
- 802.1Q VLANs
- Integrated GNSS receiver
- GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZZ, and SBAS
- Cable compensation to address GPS cable length
Microsemi is the world’s leading source of timing and synchronization systems. Our innovative IGM grandmaster portfolio enables the most cost-effective indoor or outdoor deployments at the mobile network edge. Contact your local Microsemi office today to find the right solution for your needs.